Nurse Prescribing, Vol. 8, Iss. 7, 09 Jul 2010, pp 340 - 343
The nurse independent prescriber (NIP) role has slowly evolved over 6 years, since its introduction in 2000 in line with the Government plans to modernize the NHS. The development of this role served to benefit the patients by improving access to medication, empowering them to have a degree of choice in their health care and the staff in extending their scope of practice and professional development. Accordingly there are numerous professional, ethical and legal implications associated with this extended nursing role. The article will consider both the professional accountability and the legal issues involved in NIP, before discussing how the ethical principles of beneficence, non-maleficence, autonomy and justice underpin safe, cost effective prescribing practice. In considering how ethically, legally and morally sound NIP fits into the clinical setting, application of the discussion in introducing this role into a minor Injuries unit is included.
Why purchase a subscription to Nurse Prescribing?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of prescribing in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- Nurse Prescribing contains the best clinical reviews, latest medical research and pharmacology information available to nurses with prescribing rights to ensure that you are fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in prescribing practice and to help you develop your career and enhance your prescribing skills.
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including Nurse Prescribing, British Journal of Nursing, Journal of Wound Care, International Journal of Palliative Nursing and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including NP for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including NP for a day
- Simply purchase this article